My form of communication is by email or by text messages. I will be sending home a letter with my cell phone number, the school phone number and my email address. If you have a concern, please do not hesitate to send me an email or a text message. If you have a question about your child’s homework or need help helping your child with homework, do not hesitate to contact me. Please bear in mind that I do not answer phone calls especially during class time. If your child will be absent you may send me a message but I will still need a letter from you about your child’s absence. All schools are required to keep written explanations of students’ absence.
I will be sending home a letter to ask you about some information you may want to share if you prefer to be part of the class directory. I have noticed last school year that students were sharing their phone numbers so they could talk to each other or plan for play dates.
Daily Schedule: (click to access this page)
- Just click the heading and a window will show the daily schedule. I try to follow this schedule but I have set aside time for transitions. This year, I will be using music for transitions to help students know how much time they still have for the next segment.
- This daily schedule is also a visual schedule to help students with organization. This is posted on the classroom whiteboard next to the focus standards, the vocabulary to be taught, the page numbers, the color of the notebooks and folders.
- Allergies: Please let me know of any food allergies. I can then inform all parents about the food allergy so the child will not feel left out during parties.
- Breakfast and Lunch Menu:(click to access this page) Please check the menu weekly or daily. This will help if your child wants to bring lunch or eat in school.
- Water: I highly encourage your child to bring bottled water every day. Make sure you label these bottles with your child’s name. I highly discourage high in sugar drinks like “fruit” juices, soda, and sports drink but will allow these during parties.
I will be sending the following forms. Please fill them out as soon as you can. I will not send out homework during the first week of the school year. I will devote this time to establishing routines which includes sending home forms that need to be filled out. These are all district required forms:
- Acceptable Use Policy: All uses of the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) computer and network systems by students, employees, contractors, and others are subject to the LAUSD’s Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).
- Photo and Publicity Authorization and Release: LAUSDnet requires ALL personal information posted on LAUSDnet have verifiable written permission on file at the school or office site. This includes, photographs, names or other information. This document grants the District the right to print, photograph, record, and edit as desired, the biographical information, name, image, likeness, and/or voice of the student or staff on audio, video, film, slide, or any other electronic and printed formats, currently developed, (known as “Recordings” ) for the purposes stated or related to the specific request. – A completed form is required to post any information on the web or used for publicity regarding students (Staff/Parents please use form below) . A parent’s signature is required for students under the age of 18.
- Starting this school year, parents can regularly access their child’s progress in a portal called Passport. You may register to have an account to access the following:
- your child’s attendance
- homework, seat work, projects, quizzes and tests, grades
- English learner progress
- standardized testing scores
- special education services
- online forms and applications (e.g., meal, choices)
- progress towards graduation
- http://passport.lausd.net (click to access this page)(not yet active) You will be informed when this site becomes active.
A separate page has been created to explain my homework policy. Click Homework to access the page.
Parties and Birthdays
I usually do not hold parties regularly. However, some parents may want to celebrate their child’s party in school. If you are planning to do this, please talk to me first so we can plan. As part of our planning, we can discuss what to bring and when to have these sent to school. I also need to ask my principal’s permission. So as not to interfere with instruction, parties are usually done during lunch time. During these parties, I will be incorporating lessons and activities as these are perfect venues for social skills lessons. There will be three dates that we may hold a party:
- the last day before the Thanksgiving break. This will be in the context of social studies as part of our study of our nation’s history;
- the last day before the winter break
- the last day before the end of the school year.
Reward System: (click to access this page)
The reward system is also called Positive Behavior Management. I have explained my system in another page. This page explains:
- what I use
- how I use or implement this system
- how you can be notified
- what I do not do
- videos explaining what it is
School Work / Seat Work / Projects:
This year, I will start taking pictures of your child’s work and I hope to upload these pictures on your child’s webpage. These pages are password protected so all these images can only be accessed by you, the parent. Your child knows the password since each student works on their seat work from their own web page.
Supplies at Home:
Please make sure your child has the following supplies at home. I will provide these same supplies in the classroom as I want the students to have the same set of materials. These are mostly color coded as these will aid in organizing their desks.
- books, magazines
- crayons, colored pencils, colored markers
- glue stick or paste
- lined paper, construction paper
- pair of scissors
- pencils, pens
- ruler, compass, protractor