Math Talks, Problem Strings, Number Talks
Number Talks is one of the district math initiatives. It may be difficult at first but when done daily and consistently, will hopefully help students with mental math strategies, talk and share these strategies, and eventually use these strategies. This is included in the First 10 Days posted in the LAUSD Math site (http://achieve.lausd.net/math). Videos of teachers using Number Talks and Problem Strings can be found in the Blended Learning (achieve.lausd.net/mypln).
From the training slides:
- Designed as a guided mini-lesson
- Use mental math strategies
- Designed to be at the start of a math lesson
- 10-15 minute activity, daily
- Whole group and small group to differentiate instruction
- Activities developed to support computations based on number relationships
- Created by the teacher before classroom facilitation
Here are some resources shared by another facilitator Robert Hitlin. I just received these so I have not really sorted these out.
- Number Talks (Lesson Format)
- Talk Moves Table Tent These are sentence starters that may be edited to suit your class. (Word file format) Tents (pdf file format, can not be edited)
- Number Talk Strategies
- Problem Strings Grades 1-5 Day 1 Some suggested Problem Strings for different grades.
- Number Talks Build Numerical Thinking by Sherry Parrish
Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies, Grades K 5, Updated with Common Core Connections by Sherry Parrish
Minilessons for Extending Addition and Subtraction: A Yearlong Resource by Willem Uttenbogaard, Catherine Twomey Fosnot, Kara Imm
Classroom Discussions In Math: A Teacher’s Guide for Using Talk Moves to Support the Common Core and More, Grades K-6: A Multimedia Professional Learning Resource, 3rd Edition
Intentional Talk: How to Structure and Lead Productive Mathematical Discussions by
Number Sense Routines: Building Numerical Literacy Every Day in Grades K-3 by J